Lifelong Learning - A Journey with No Destination

All through my academic career I got passing grades, but I was never interested in learning.

Chalk it up to being young, naïve, and not understanding what these abstract subjects had to do with "real life". How am I going to apply ancient history or algebra once I am in the outside world?

Turns out the teachings of the ancients are just as relevant today as they were thousands of years ago, and algebra has many real-world applications. Who knew? 

I did have one class in high school that had “real life” applications-typing (yes, that was an actual class). I wish I had paid more attention there, as it has taken quite a while to type all this. Between all the backspacing and being accidentally stuck on CAPS LOCK, well you get the idea.

Fast forward a few (ahem) years and I find myself interested in learning about anything and everything. I am fascinated and curious about plants, animals, astronomy, natural history, and the complex workings of terrestrial, aquatic, and marine ecosystems. I could watch nature shows or documentaries about space or ancient Egypt all day!

I have applied this thirst for knowledge in my professional life as well, always striving to learn and stay up to date. This is especially true now, as I am making a career transition for the first time in my life. After a long and successful career in the financial markets, I am shifting my focus to communications.

To succeed in this endeavor, I must open my mind to new concepts and ways of doing things that are different than what I am used to. Open-mindedness and willingness to change are the foundations upon which I am building my new career. I believe those two traits are also key to lifelong learning.

The idea that learning is a “journey with no destination” emphasizes the importance of embracing curiosity, staying open-minded, and committing to ongoing self-improvement. Most importantly, I must remain teachable. If I close my mind and revert to my old thinking I risk falling behind, and I cannot afford to do that, not now or ever.

Comments

  1. Awesome! I love it Jay. I look forward to reading more from you. You have the perfect mind for this endeavor. I hope you will keep teaching those around you to see the humor and wonder in life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tommy D, what a blast from the past! Thank you for your kind words, stay tuned to this space for more musings. Hope all is well with you...

    ReplyDelete
  3. JAY! I look forward to to reading more, as I am a man of the same learning ilk... please pass along any interesting topics, series and episodes, or book (you know I'm a reader!) so we can continue to be on a similar path! GOOD TALK!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks John, will do. Watch this space…

      Delete
  4. Jay! I absolutely hear all of this! Would love to stay in touch, and I’ll definitely watch your blog. 👊

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great reading Jay and I can identify 100% having to reinvent myself in a new profession a few years ago. Love the insights keep them coming.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Ghost Army

So, it begins...