Building Relationships Through Communication
Based on my own experience, here are three best practices that came to mind:
- Active Listening - Also known as "listening on purpose". This means when someone is speaking, don't just wait to talk, actually listen to what he/she is saying. Sounds easy enough, right? I don't know about you, but I always seem to have such a great response teed up all I can think about is getting it out there! However, if I resist the temptation and practice active listening, I gain a deeper understanding and can target my message accordingly.
- Empathy - Empathy is the ability to put oneself in another's shoes and understand their feelings and experiences. If I understand and empathize with someone this allows for better communication, as I can convey a message that resonates. I mean we all want to be understood, right?
- Authenticity - I think this one is pretty straightforward, just be yourself. Being honest and genuine in our communications invites others to do the same, which builds trust. I am the person you see before you, or in the words of Popeye the Sailor, "I yam what I yam, and that's all that I yam!" (Editor's note: I detest spinach, so I left that part out).
Over the course of my career, I have found that when I apply these strategies, I am able to communicate more effectively. This allows me to build relationships based on mutual understanding, which often results in improved collaboration and shared success.

Being an active listener is so important; and I find in FTF communication it’s much easier as opposed to over zoom where you can easily be distracted.
ReplyDeleteGreat content and insights , that I need reminders all the time. Thank you very helpful .
ReplyDelete