Imposter Syndrome: Fighting the Battle Within
Do you ever get that feeling of self-doubt? Questioning your abilities, skills, and accomplishments, despite the evidence of success? Or you feel you are not capable of completing that big project at work and are consumed by the fear of failure.
These are the tell-tale signs of imposter syndrome, which I think affects us all to some degree. I have no data to back this claim, but whenever I mention it to someone, I get a nod in agreement.
![]() |
| Living in fear of the "invisible choke" |
As I make my career transition, I am often overcome with that same feeling of not being worthy or capable. When that happens, I take a step back and acknowledge my past accomplishments. I have been writing them down as part of the job search process, and it looks surprisingly good on paper!
I also try to visualize my success, picturing myself fulfilled and happy in a new work environment. Of course, that success is dependent upon me applying the skills and experience gained from my past accomplishments. This exercise is helpful when I convey to prospective employers how I can add value to their organization.
Fighting imposter syndrome is an ongoing process which requires I challenge my own deeply ingrained patterns of thinking. However, by engaging in positive self-reflection and visualization I can quiet the inner voice of self-doubt and reveal my true worth.

HEAR, HEAR! For me, the only solid relief from I.S. is knowing that EVERYONE SEEMS TO HAVE IT AS WELL. Thank you for pointing that out...
ReplyDeleteThanks John, I appreciate your comments.
Delete