The Joyful Daily Routine
Webster's Dictionary defines a routine as a "habitual or mechanical performance of an established procedure".
![]() |
| This guy knows about daily routine! |
For years I had a daily routine which became comfortable and actually somewhat enjoyable. It went something like this: get up (at 4:30am-uggh), shower/shave, get dressed, drive downtown, go to work, drive back home, have dinner, watch TV, go to bed.
Rinse and repeat.
On the surface it doesn't sound enjoyable, does it? But I am someone who thrives in a structured environment, so there was an element of joy that came with doing the same thing every day. Although I would say what I found most gratifying were the relationships I built over the years.
There were my co-workers, the guys in the parking garage, the barista at the coffee shop, the guy at the security desk, the shoe repair guy across the street, etc. The network of people I interacted with on a daily basis made each day interesting and worthwhile.
When I got laid off that routine of 20+ years went away in an instant. After the initial shock subsided, I began looking for my next role and a new career path. This meant I had to focus my efforts, and the best way for me to do this was to establish a new routine.
I get up at the same time every day (NOT at 4:30am, I can assure you!) and adhere to a strict schedule. There is not much joy in looking for work, so I occasionally deviate from the schedule to do something for me. Things like taking a walk (or a "constitutional" as my dad would say), going to the gym, or meeting a friend for coffee. Sure, routine is important, but so is my mental health and well-being.

Great post, Jay. Structure and routine do provide a comfort and security no matter what your age. It's enjoyable to see the same “friends” in the store, elevator, office, etc. You get to know about their family, where they live and their interests. And if they’re not there at the usual time you get a little worried about them. That’s meaningful. Forging new routines now for you will be equally rewarding…will just take a little time.
ReplyDeleteSounds like you’re quite perceptive and are forging your positive path ahead.
Thanks for the feedback, Diane!
DeleteGreat content, Jay. I agree structure is comforting and with routine they provide a sense of security and take away some of the anxiousness of the unknown. You know the people in the garage, the elevator,
ReplyDeleteThanks for the feedback. I like the "anxiousness of the unknown", so true!
DeleteRoutine, for me, is one less stressor. I make my bed as soon as I rise, so it will be ready at the end of the day. I do my important daily tasks first. I set my day, prior to any distraction, with a small amount of reading and writing. I "set my intentions". The result? PROactivity, not REactivity, for the most part...
Delete"If you want a simple formula for having a good day, then get a workout or a walk done and do your most important task before lunch. Knock out those two things by noon and you really feel like you're ahead of the day." Thanks for the post, Jay!